World Blood Donor Day


In reporting on obscure holidays, I'm beginning to see a repeat of ones I've already covered; however, this is a new one for me.  Blood is the life of the human body.  Many other organs and physiological aspects of our human encasement may fail or become severely hindered, but without blood one ceases to live altogether.  Almost twenty-five years ago, I had a friend who donated blood to herself in preparation for surgery.  The pints of blood were stored for the day she underwent the knife.  This was an interesting procedure I had never heard of then or now.  Many people do not donate due to an illness or disease, such as cancer, diabetes, or ____ (you-name-it).  Others do not donate out of less than legitimate reasons, regardless how valid these perceived excuses may seem.  Such reasons may be: fear of needles, a bad donating experience, or...the list could go on infinitely.  All it boils down too is selfishness and a lack of sacrifice of ourselves for others.  (If it means anything, or helps to overcome some of those poor reasons for not donating, I've had several bad donating experiences, and yet I keep going back.)  There are several blood donation procedures: whole blood, double red cell, plasma, and platelets.  I have undergone each one of those several times, with each one requiring a different length of commitment, for example: plasma and platelets usually require at least two hours on the apparatus.  Usually I only donate whole blood.  This is the quickest procedure as I'm in and out in about thirty to forty-five minutes.  My personal excuse is not having the time to donate in the other more time-intensive procedures.  That's a poor excuse as it is more likely I'm not willing to take the time and effort to do so.  (See, I'm as good in making excuses for not doing something as you are.  Ha!)  Once I'm finished with what I consider a civic duty, I make an appointment to return in 56 days, or roughly eight weeks.  Carter BloodCare in Fort Worth is great at making it easy for me to donate blood.  Again, I have had bad donation experiences, but that's a part of life as I will encounter un-pleasentries wherever I go and in whatever I do.  Consider becoming a lifesaver by becoming a regular blood donor.  If you already are, enjoy your special day by celebrating life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Party on the Porch (Amon Carter Museum)

Reprieve from the War Front

He is Risen...