The Nightmare is Over

A little over a week ago, I finished working at Ole Grapevine Cigar & Tobacco Shop for a second tour of duty.  Once again, I found this particular place of employment extremely toxic and dysfunctional.  With the exception of one other staff member, the crew at the shop were too chummy with one another in very unhealthy ways.  Similar to the first experience, I was micro-managed and isolated from feeling a part of the "family", as the manager liked to call the company.  I never felt included...only taken advantage of and then made to feel inferior and worthless.  The customer base wasn't too much better than the work environment.  In some ways, the customers were worse...a bunch of entitled, rich people who wanted their way while everyone else be damned.  Spoiled-rotten brats!  The manager summarily decided, without even consulting me, that I would be moved to an "on call" position.  Since I'm not naive, I realize this means I'll never work there again.  It is the legally safe move to avoid becoming liable for litigation or bearing resposibility for paying out unemployment benefits.  For the born-again Christian the manager claims to be, he is an embarrassent to the faith of those of us who are the real deal.  Everyday he would spout his beliefs while blaring religious music from the stereo speakers.  All the while his lifestyle never matched up with his words.  There is a name for such people...hypocrites!  It is no surprise I have enjoyed the time since separating from the company.  While scratching off a bunch of bucket list items, the state of my mental health has soared for the better.  In addition to the improved health of my mental state, I have been sleeping more soundly and eating a lot better.  The diminished stress has been very noticeable.  Who knows where I'll end up working in the near future.  In the meantime, I have been planning several trips with family.  In and around those times, I will add a few days here and there for some independent travel.  I'm excited about the future!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Party on the Porch (Amon Carter Museum)

Reprieve from the War Front

He is Risen...