Paladin Cigars


In December 2011, Paladin Cigars opened for business; however, at the time, the shop operated under the name Hatuey Cigars.  Working at Buffalo Wild Wings, a restaurant located about half a mile north of the shop, my co-worker informed me of the new cigar store opening up.  So I gave it a try and really enjoyed the product and atmosphere.  I eventually became a regular patron of the establishment, and am considered one of the original customers.  In fact, since I wouldn't begin working for Tobacco Lane until August of 2012, I can honestly say frequenting the establishment was not a conflict of interest.  (I had already been a regular customer at Tobacco Lane for almost two years at this point.)  At some point in the previous year or so, the two owners of the shop parted ways.  It was at this junction the shop became known as Paladin Cigars.  What is interesting about the name is the ties it has with history.  The Paladins were sometimes known as the Twelve Peers, the foremost warrior's of Charlemagne's court.  That tidbit alone sounds regal and daunting.  Today marks the two weeks Tobacco Lane on the Square in downtown has been permanently closed.  Matthew, one of the proprietors of Paladin Cigars, approached me about working at the shop.  I said, "Yes!"  As a result, last Tuesday was my first day of work.  Even though I only worked for about three hours, I could tell working there would be a good fit.  I did work a little bit longer, roughly six hours, last Saturday.  The inventory, the product offered, is completely different from Tobacco Lane.  This means I'll have to smoke most of it in order to learn what they are like.  Then I'll be able to better help the customer in their cigar selection.  Once I learn the ins and outs of the store, I will begin working a few shifts by myself.  I'm looking forward to this new adventure and endeavor.  I wonder is this means I am a Paladin, one of the fiercest workers of the shop?  Interesting!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Party on the Porch (Amon Carter Museum)

Hiatus from Life!

The Pleasure of Books -- William Lyon Phelps