National Grammar Day

Every day should be National Grammar Day.  Proper communication is vitally dependent on correct usage of grammar, both in spelling and in the application of the word's meaning, along with punctuation.  Overall sentence structure has lost his integrity in today's society.  Many times, people will make a statement or ask a question not realizing what is verbalized does not lead to the end result they are desiring.  Then they respond, "You know what I mean!"  No, actually, I don't.  I am not a mind reader.  Effectively communicate what is on your mind, and I will know exactly what your intentions are.  Double negatives in speech are another minefield of communication.  (If you don't know what I mean, don't worry about it.)  Every day I receive e-mails fraught with spelling errors, punctuation disasters, and improperly used words.  The body of the message is atrocious, and I am appalled by such intellectual laziness.  Simple proof-reading would eliminate many of the errors.  (I'm giving credit to the author of such texts, assuming they know better.  Maybe I shouldn't be this generous in my assessment.  No, mother, I'm not referencing your emails.)  I challenge each of my readers to learn proper grammar, correct usage of vocabulary based on the word's meaning, and right placement of punctuation based on the rules of standard English.  The purpose of this entry is not to embarrass anyone in particular, unless the person in question is sufficiently content in their current state of ignorance.  An old-fashioned English dictionary and grammar rule book will more than suffice in teaching how to effectively communicate.  If it's any encouragement, I learn something new everyday in regard to the English language.  (In this case, the terms English language and effective communication are inter-changeable for proper grammar.)  Broaden the horizons of your intellect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Party on the Porch (Amon Carter Museum)

Reprieve from the War Front

He is Risen...