King for a Day!

I haven't eaten at a Burger King restaurant in at least several years, maybe longer.  One of the perks of having a Walmart subscription is to receive virtual coupons for the fast food chain.  After procrastinating long enough, I finally decided to try it out.  On the day of my visit, I was pleasantly surprised to see a "Buy One/Get One Free" offer on the Whopper.  Ordering through the app at the table, I had a few minutes wait before receiving the order.  In that short span of time, I spotted the iconic paper crowns the restaurant gives out for fun and amusement.  I walked up and asked the employee if I could have one.  Thinking it was child's play to do so, I laughingly placed it on top of my head.  How foolish I must have looked, especially for a man 50+ years of age.  Who doesn't enjoy acting like a kid again?  Anyway, the thought lingered with me.  How foolish I must have looked to the true Sovereign of the universe, our Father God in heaven.  Psalm 2:2, 4, 6 says, "The kings of the earth take their stand and the rulers gather together against the Lord and against his Annointed One...The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them...I have installed my King on Zion, my holy hill."  It is absolutely tragic to behold me sitting on the throne of my heart trying to run my own life.  I can imagine my Father God laughing at how this created being, me, thinks he knows best on how to run his life and the world around him.  I have repeatedly shown what happens when I am running the show: destruction, wasted resources, ruined relationships, lost opportunites, and so much more.  As much as this is the direct reflection of the innate sin nature, it is a sad state of affairs in contrast to what God offers through relationship with Him.  The great German theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer profoundly stated, "When Jesus calls a man, he bids him to come and die!"  Upon giving over my life to the true ruler of the created world, it is no longer I who live but Christ in me.  I have died to self for the greater reward and treasure of willing obedience to the call of Jesus.  The crowns of this world are temporary to the Crown of Life I will receive in the eternal Kingdom of God.  In fact, the Bible tells me and I agree that on that day I will lay my crown at Jesus' feet while proclaiming Him Lord and Lords and King of Kings.  No longer do I want the fading trophies of this lost and dying world.  I desire the only true wealth that lasts, and that is a relationship with the Lord Jesus.  Matthew 13:44 tells of a man who finds a treasure hidden in a field.  In discovering the treasture, he goes and sells all he has in order to buy that field.  Father God, may I give up everything in order to run after you with complete abandon.  Your Word teaches you want to be found...may I run into your arms to experience You and the eternal pleasures at your right hand (Psalm 16:11).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Edgar Allan Poe -- Tamerlane

Dear Diary...

Martin Luther King Jr. -- I Have A Dream (Speech)