Six Month Review!

More than six months have transpired since getting canned at the smoke shop.  I have no regrets about the termination as the shop was very toxic.  Unfortunately, I was one of many casualties to have worked there.  Of course, I'm not completely innocent of the misfortune as I could have counted it a better blessing to work there than the way I did.  In addition, I had huge areas of improvement in how I could have better honored my boss and his family.  Thankfully, I don't need to dwell on the past.  I have a great and awesome Father God in Heaven to whom I can confess my shortcomings, learn from my mistakes, and move on trusting in Him for my daily provision.  Looking at where I am now, I firmly believe traditional employment is no longer and option for me.  After applying for and interviewing with jobs that should have had no reason not to hire me, I am still without gainful employment.  Even such low-hanging fruit as a janitor/busser job at the local Mexican food joint wouldn't hire me.  For years, I yearned for an opportunity to work for myself as a freelance writer and historical researcher.  Right now may be the best chance for me to do so.  Throughout my life, I've heard countless times how good of a writer I am.  Of how blessed I am with such a gifted writing skill.  How I need to write a book or travel and leisure articles.  Over and over again, the subject of writing kept rearing its head.  Finally taking up this mantle would get me in complete obedience to the Parable of the Talents in the Gospel of Matthew chapter 25.  I don't want to be the man who hid his talent (skill, ability, gifting) and not put it to work.  There was certain judgement for that person.  Read the story.  This leads me to ask, "Why did I put it off for so many decades?"  A lady at my support group made a rather profound statement, "A person doesn't need credentials to write; however, practice sure helps.  An uneducated man with a story to tell is qualified to write and to write well."  (Not a direct quote, but repeated to the best that I can remember.)  Maybe I put it off and remained disobedient to God's Word out of a lack of self-esteem.  What if I fail?  What if no one understands what I wrote?  What if no one buys my book?  What if..."  There are so many "What ifs?" and "If onlys!" to paralyze even the strong of heart.  I don't want to get ahead of myself; however, I recently came up with a format for a book and what I believe is great content for at least seven chapters.  The introduction and first chapter are written, but I still have a long way to go.  I'm excited about the prospect and have been praying for the self-discipline to actually sit down to write.  When in the throes of writing, I feel at peace and that I am in the midst of God's will for this life.  In the meantime, I am concentrating on my relationship with God and his Son, the Lord Jesus, counting on the inspriation and strength of the Holy Spirit.  In addition to the writing endeavors, I am looking forward to the 64th Schwab Family Reunion next month.  I will definitely catalog the event and possibly see if it is worthy of getting published in a magazine.  We shall see!  Thank you to my faithful readers.  I look forward to giving another report in the near future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Edgar Allan Poe -- Tamerlane

Martin Luther King Jr. -- I Have A Dream (Speech)

Dear Diary...